Inspiring Digital Art for Your Directory – Clickable Virtual Tour
The Art of Possible
We have great conversations with customers about the motion graphics and artwork that we can add to your directory or video wall. Seeing is believing, so check out this one-minute visual, clickable Google story to see what the possibilities for art and your digital directory and display are. You also can scan it to your mobile phone.
Click to view the interactive visual story.
Why Would I Add Art to My Directory?
Art is truly in the eye of the beholder. The value of the arts has long been debated. For some, art is essential. David Zwirner wrote a New York Times piece called "Art Is How We Justify Our Existence", where he opines that "our technologies are tools. But our creative works carry the wisdom of the world."
In the past, art was out of reach for the average person except in the form of posters or crafting. In today's modern era, art of all varieties is more in reach for most consumers. That's also true for businesses. Art adds grace and elegance to every office. It's a part of the brand for organizations, buildings and venues. With digital art, organizations are no longer faced with the hardest part of selecting art—choosing it. Advice offered is directional at best.
However, modern artists now create digital art and carefully manage their digital rights. It makes more artwork more available. For art purchasers, it has never been easier to find compelling imagery. However, finding the right image that fits the screen size, resolution, aspect ratios and your usage is hard. There are free options for many images if you don't mind limited options and seeing the art you like used in 1000s of other places. Also, watch out for those usage rights: Even the "free" options often have strings attached. Use content outside of published digital rights terms, and you may be sued. There are companies out there that troll for copyright infringement and hit you up with bills.
To help customers bring the power of art to their lobbies, conference centers and executive briefing centers—we've created an array of options that look amazing on digital directories and video walls and allow you to explore your art preferences.
What Are My Options? How Do I Choose the Right Art?
1. Public Art Stills. There are many beautiful images out there that are provided for broad use without any fees. Sources like Pixabay or Unsplash offer these up inside of services like Canva or social media posting tools. The trick is finding the right images that:
- Allow you to overlay content including listings, transit schedules, and visitor information and still be able to see the artwork
- Fit your directory size, brightness, resolution
- Managing usage rights can be tricky even with "free" images, as those are usually free just for consumers; commercial usage can have different terms
Starting with TouchSource Engage and Inspire packages, our team will help you select the right public art stills that fit your vision, directory and content. With the Engage package, choose one image as a backdrop and we'll design it into your display design for you. Or, choose up to 5 images that rotate within your slideshow viewer in between building messaging and announcements. We want you to take advantage of the digital art revolution, but also to help you avoid the pitfalls of DIY attempts to add art to your digital displays.
2. Motion scenery videos. Popular with our video wall and large display customers, these gorgeous motion scenery videos of nature or cityscapes are mesmerizing. We have one in our conference room, and it draws everyone's attention and creates a tranquil backdrop to our meetings. Starting with the Engage package, choose one image from our library as a background instead of a public art still background. With the Inspire package, choose up to 3 and we'll work with you to schedule the rotation of those background graphics.
3. Pre-Curated Art. For those who like unique art from today's top artists, you'll want to look at these collections of regional and contemporary art. Our friends at TurningArt are experts at collaborating with artists from around the nation. These are their picks of top varieties and artists. Chose one of these packages and you'll be supporting the artist who earns income from your art purchase. These collections are pre-selected, so there's no curation fee either. Many like to have the art change by time of day, week or month. We'll work with you on the amount of works that fit your preferred rotation schedule. You won't find this quality of art on those free or even stock photo websites.
4. Curated Art. Our most popular option for customers who've decided to invest in a video wall or large format display is to have a digital art curator consultation. We'll work with you to describe your art style and vision, and curators will propose select works of art that fit your style. As well, many like to have the art change by time of day, week or month and still have a cohesive theme that fits your unique style. And you won't see your choices in every ad, video or news article. Your selections are reserved for your usage.
5. Custom Art. Do you want something developed just for your brand? We have the artist relationships to help you commission just what you want. It's a brand builder.
Q: What if I want motion scenery not in your library?
A: We can help you select other options that will fit your directory or use case. We have sources that match the need to avoid jarring graphics that are hard to look at behind content. Better yet, if you go for art videos, we have a great source and will help you with your curated selection of the right options. Ask for a custom quote for either of these options.
Q: Can I load my own public art still as a background?
A: We offer 100s of directory home page designs and incorporate your art choices for you. Because we overlay content on the art, you'll want us to do that. You can choose your own and self-load it into your slideshow viewer.
Q: How can I see a few options to get an idea of how this works?
A: We'll pair you with one of our Digital Account Managers who can spin you through what the various options look like.
Q: Why do I need your help to select or purchase the digital artworks?
A: Here are the common issues we see with self-guided efforts:
- Finding the right art options, service and digital rights options takes time. Curation services vary by service and can take time and effort to navigate. We already have sources and relationships that fit the needs of our clients.
- Image selection is harder than it looks.
- If you choose low resolution images, they pixelate. Images of wrong size or aspect ratio stretch in unexpected ways creating distortion.
- If you choose an image that would cover up the bulk of the art with directory content, the art is covered up.
- If you choose videos that loop very fast or show jerky motion, it’s disorienting for visitors.
- If you choose imagery that is too dark or too bright, and put it on a display, the brightness of the display could cause disorientation or a discomforting vibe for viewers.
- Upkeep is another task loaded onto the shoulders of your busy team. If you figure out how to do this independently, you’ll have to plan for upkeep.
- Troubleshooting nightmares: If your imagery options don’t work, people not trained in the craft of digital graphics could spend hours trying to fix something.
- You choose images that have royalty rights or limitations for business users and aren’t in compliance. There are law firms out there that look for this and send out usage violation notices requiring royalty payments with penalties.