Top 3 Shady Tactics Used by Bad Digital Signage Companies
Watch out for fly-by-night digital directory vendors
Looking for a reliable digital signage company that provides quality services and support is crucial for any business.
As a business owner, you don’t want to end up with a fly-by-night vendor who is unreliable and disappears when you need them the most.
We’ve seen vendors that have come and go, for many different reasons, but they impacted customers nonetheless. During the pandemic, some competitors even closed shop without notifying their customers. Suddenly, the customers screens went dark, without explanation. Not a great experience.
The Downside of Buying Cheap Products
Have you ever bought a piece of furniture at an affordable price, just to have it come apart or soon show wear and tear not long after purchase?
The downside of buying cheap products is just that: They’re cheap. And they don’t last.
When making a purchase, it’s tempting to be cost-conscious. You may think that finding the least expensive possible product will be a win-win.
However, as with any important purchase, the quality of the product or service is often reflected in its price.
Of course, digital displays are not furniture. It’s an important investment for your property and should be treated as such. The peace of mind that comes with getting your interactive directory from a reputable company is gold.
In fact, selecting cheap products and minimal services can often lead to unwelcome surprises.
Top 3 Shady Tactics Used by Bad Commercial Building Directory Vendors
If you’re in the market for an interactive directory or a larger scale video art wall display, beware of shady tactics that some vendors use. They may try to lure you in with low prices, only to hit you with unexpected fees and subpar support.
We’ve heard horror stories from customers who have fallen victim to these tactics, but we’re here to help you avoid them. Here are the top three tactics to watch out for:
1. Bait and switch: Some vendors may promise you a “free” year of software licensing, only to bill you much more than you expected. For example, one customer was charged $498/year for software licensing when they were promised a free year, and hit with an unexpected separate bill of $119/year for news and weather.
➤ How We’re Different: At TouchSource, we sell complete directory applications with no surprise bills. We list all inclusions in each package on our website so you know exactly what you’re paying for.
2. High surprise fees: Some vendors may hit you with unexpected fees for things like late payments. For example, one customer was charged a $275 fee if their bill wasn’t paid by the due date on a $379 bill.
➤ How We’re Different: At TouchSource, we proactively notify you of your annual bill in multiple ways and work to keep your business. And we don’t charge massive late fees.
3. Fragmented support: Some vendors may only support phone calls about their “online data entry service” and refuse to take calls about non-functioning equipment, even though they sold both to the client.
➤ How We’re Different: At TouchSource, we offer our customers unlimited remote support by North America-based experts. We take live calls about the entire solution that you bought from us (many technology vendors have eliminated customer support over the phone). We offer warranties as a standard and up to 5 years of coverage. And if you have hardware issues, you call us – we’ll figure out how to resolve the issue for you.
A Note about Surprise Content Update Fees
Beware of the surprise costs that come with making additional updates to your digital displays. In one case, a facility manager came to us after trying a DIY media player service that comes with one design. When they needed to make changes to their software, they got hit with an unwelcome, and expensive, surprise: A $400 fee for making an edit. So when choosing a digital signage company, ask if there are charges incurred for many updates to your content or your design down the road.
Don’t fall victim to these shady tactics – choose a digital signage company like TouchSource that offers transparent pricing, proactive communication, and comprehensive support.
Tips for Choosing a Digital Signage Company
Here are some tips to help you choose a vendor that will be there when you need them:
- Search for Experience. Look for an experienced digital signage company. At TouchSource, we have been in business for almost 40 years and have thousands of happy customers.
- Get Recommendations. Ask your peers for recommendations. Many of our customers have found us through word-of-mouth recommendations.
- Make Sure Software is Easy to Use. Choose a digital signage company with easy-to-use software that is designed for business users. We offer demos so you can see for yourself how simple it is to use our digital directory software.
- Choose a Digital Signage Company with Several Offerings. Select a vendor with a broad range of offerings to meet all your signage needs. We provide a complete directory application with different packages to choose from.
- Research Warranties. Look for a vendor that offers comprehensive product warranties covering both software and hardware. At TouchSource, we provide a standard 2-year warranty with the option to extend coverage up to 5 years.
- Verify How to Contact Them. Check if the vendor publishes a support phone number and other ways to reach them on their website. We offer unlimited remote support and are always available to take your calls.
- Browse Case Studies. Look for customer case studies that feature real customers, not just stock photos. We have several customer success stories on our website that showcase the results our clients have achieved.
- Check Into Their Supply Chain. Choose a vendor that stocks inventory and has a dedicated team for supply chain management. At TouchSource, we ensure that our clients receive their products on time and in perfect condition.
- Verify Partners and Other Customers. Look for visible relationships with industry-leading technology companies. We partner with leading manufacturers to provide the latest technology to our clients.
- Confirm Pricing. Avoid vendors that have surprise costs for customer support that suddenly appear in year two. At TouchSource, we provide a transparent pricing structure, and we list all inclusions in each package on our website.
By following these tips, you can ensure that you choose a reliable digital signage company that provides quality services and support.
At TouchSource, we are committed to helping our clients achieve their goals. If you’re looking for your next lobby directory, video art wall display, interactive kiosks or other display types, let’s chat. Give us a call today or request a quote.